Sunday, October 10, 2010

11 years of Pin Trading

Disney Pin trading.. An event that was only supposed to last a year celebrates its 11th anniversary.

Pins have always been present at Disney parks, but it wasn't until 1999 as part of the Millennium Celebration that Paul Pressler introduced Disney Pin Trading at the Disneyland Resort. (The pin trading "event" was originally only supposed to last through the Millennium Celebration) The next year, the craze spread to the Walt Disney World Resort, which has become the home of most Pin Trading events. Since then, Pin Trading has spread to Disneyland Resort Paris, Tokyo Disney Resort, Hong Kong Disneyland Resort and Disney Cruise Lines with each location creating their own pins and traditions.

Many people don't understand the draw that pin trading has and I will admit I was once and still am one of those people. Having said that I also have to admit that with the money I have spent on pins, I could probably have paid off my house.

So why do people trade pins, well everyone has their own reasons, for me I use them to commemorate special events. I have pins from spring training, birthdays we celebrated at Disney, opening day of a new ride or movie, fathers day pins, and the most special frequent event... my son says "Daddy can I please have that pin". Hey it beats buying him a bunch of candy.

No comments:

Post a Comment